Tungsten Disulﬁde, also known as WS2, offers superior lubrication and coating abilities. It is known for its strength and its durability. So, it is no surprise that WS2 is the most popular choice of lubricant in a variety of industries.
There are many features of tungsten disulfide that makes it a popular choice for industrial applications.
- Components that have been coated with WS2 have been found to achieve friction coefficients between 0.03 and 0.07.
- Tungsten Disulfide can be used for industrial applications involving high temperatures and extreme environments. Normally, WS2 is designed to function perfectly between -450oF and +1200oF.
- The coating can also withstand high pressures. Many industries use WS2 in applications where pressures are as high 300,000 psi.
- It can also be used as an additive with metal powder or lubricating oil.
Tungsten Disulfide Industrial Applications
As tungsten disulfide is known to be a highly efficient lubricant, it is generally used in applications where there are requirements for large load carrying, friction co-efficiency, and endurance. WS2 tungsten disulfide has been used for a number of applications in aerospace, automotive, and military.
- WS2 is used as friction reducing agents for aerospace and aircraft components.
- In the injection molding industry, it helps to reduce friction during the molding process. The parts do not stick to the mold and release more quickly. It is also used for chains, end mills, bearings, and gear boxes, among many others.
- For the medical and research industry, it is used to coat ball bearings for medical devices, nuclear and vacuum laser applications.
The natural properties of tungsten disulfide make it a popular lubricant for use in different industries.