Understanding the Molybdenum Disulfide Coating Process – Part IAugust 24, 2016
Characteristics and Applications of Dry Film CoatingsSeptember 19, 2016
In the previous post, we discussed the steps to apply molybdenum disulfide using the burnishing, and vapor deposition methods. In this post, we will describe the steps of the next two molybdenum disulfide coating processes. These are the methods most commonly used in industrial applications.
Additional MoS2 Coating Methods
The first method describes how the MoS2 coating can be applied by high speed impingement. The second method discusses combining the coating with a paint-like substance.
- Impingement Coating Method (AMS2526): MoS2 can be applied as a fine powder to a coating thickness of less than 0.0001” utilizing this method.
- This method requires specialized equipment to obtain the desired results.
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on this coating method and how it can benefit your application.
- This method generally does not affect machine tolerances and can provide long term lubrication in extreme environments. It can be used as a primary lubricant or can be used in conjunction with oil and/or grease to extend equipment life, prevent galling, seizure and fretting.
- MoS2 As A Paint-like Coating (MIL-PRF-46010, AS5272 and more): MoS2 is often used as an additive with certain types of resins and binders to form a paint-like coating. Depending on the substrate and coating material, the required curing process will either be Air or Heat cured.
- Typical thickness of this coating is 0.0002 – 0.0007”
- The coating process, from surface preparation and application to curing will vary from the type of coating required and the manufacturer
- Obtain the manufacturers application instructions prior to starting your project.
- Need help determining which coating will work best for your application? Contact us at www.ws2coating.com or email@example.com for assistance. We will be happy to do the application for you!
A user can choose the relevant molybdenum disulfide coating process, depending on the industry and application. The use of the lubricant can help create durable components, which can enhance the strength and performance of various machines.