Lubricants applied in compliance with MIL-PRF-46010 are supposed to provide certain specific qualities and features which require the approval by all Departments and Agencies of the Department of Defense. Briefly put, these solid film lubricants must be heat cured with corrosion-inhibiting abilities.It is mandatory to follow strict guidelines and rules when it comes to lubricating defense armaments and weapons, as the same require protection against wear and damage, galling, corrosion and seizure of metals.
The following parameters should be considered before selecting the appropriate lubricant type for MIL-PRF-46010:
- It is advisable to use lubricants made of recyclable and environmentally preferable materials. However, it should be made sure that the environment-friendly lubricants should meet or exceed the application and maintenance needs.
- The minimum endurance life of the bonded lubricant should be of 450 minutes at a load of 4450 newtons, while the minimum load carrying capacity should be of 3000 lbf.
- The lubricant should be applied in a smooth, even and perfect manner without any scratches, cracks, blisters, pinholes, sags, foreign matter, rough particles and grits. The coating thickness of the lubricant should be between 0.008 and 0.013 millimeters.
- The lubricant should be storage-friendly with qualities like enhanced life endurance, resistance against aluminum corrosion, salt-spray and sulfurous acid and resistance against extreme temperatures.
- The lubricants should not be made of materials with toxic content, which can a health hazard to human beings. It should not contain any restricted materials like lead or lead-containing elements, powdered metal, graphite or any other ozone-depleting substances in any form.
- The Solid film lubricant mil-prf-46010 should be resistant to fluids like anti-icing fluid, cleaning solvent, ocean water substitute, turbine fuel, hydrocarbon base, hydraulic fluid, lubricants and so on.
- The lubricant should have accurate thermal stability to prevent it from flaking, cracking, lifting, blistering or peeling.
It should be remembered that lubricants for MIL-PRF-46010 need to be highly efficient and should adhere to all the quality parameters before being applied.