Molybdenum Disulfide Coatings, or MoS2 coating is also known by the name Moly coatings. These coatings are among the most widely used and most popular form of solid film lubrication today. These coatings help reducing wear between two mating surfaces. What are the advantages of using the Moly coatings? What are its applications? Read on the following post to know.
Advantages of Using MoS2 Low Friction Coatings
When it comes to moving machinery, sufficient lubrication and least friction are very important aspects. Friction can cause a huge loss in terms of energy, thus lowering the overall performance of the machinery. This is where low friction coatings are advantageous. Here are some major advantages of using MoS2 low friction coatings:
- MoS2 coatings form a dry and clean layer of lubrication, which does not get affected by moisture, oils, greases, dust, or dirt.
- Once these coatings are used, they offer a long-lasting lubrication. They do not undergo oxidation, evaporation, or aging. MoS2 offers exceptional resistance to corrosion as compared to plating.
- These coatings offer excellent rust prevention without the need of any surface treatments.
- Moly coatings offer a non-staining, and non-flammable protection for plastics and metals.
- These low friction coatings have controlled film thickness. This helps them achieve exact load-bearing capabilities.
- They offer an exceptional lubrication even after the coated product or equipment is shut down or not used for a long time.
- When compared with conventional greases and oils, the Moly coatings have the capability to withstand high level contact loads.
- Moly coatings are of great help in noise reduction.
- Molybdenum disulfide coatings help simplify dismantling.
- These coatings have a low coefficient of friction, and help reduce the frictional torque.
- They are particularly suitable for marine applications, and makes storage for long periods possible.
Applications of MoS2 Coatings
The several advantages discussed above make Moly coatings popular among a wide range of applications. Some key applications of MoS2 low friction coatings include:
- Two-stroke Engines
- CV and Universal Joints
- Ski Wax
- Applications demanding maximum wear endurance
- Articulate joints for earth moving equipment
- Tyre molds or segments
- Sliding gate valves
- Crane Pins
- Wire drawing parts
- Automotive Applications: These coatings are widely used for automotive applications. Moly coatings in automotive applications are said to reduce the noise and vibration produced, whereas are known to increase the following factors:
- Driving comfort
- Overall Performance
All the above mentioned were the numerous advantages and applications of MoS2 low friction coatings. There are several more benefits and applications of MoS2 coatings. To know more about these, you can approach any industry expert like Ws2 Coatings, which provides a wide range of coating and have a vast experience in the same.